Praise
Hey, all--
After six long months, we've finally accepted a position! In fact, we were offered two (Director of Emergent Worship and Youth Director), and maybe even a few publishing jobs, but we went ahead and declined all of those.
I will be the youth director at Westminster Presbyterian in Aurora, Illinois. As you may know, Aurora is a south western suburb that is very diverse. All kinds of people live in the city, and crime rates are relatively high, but we are really excited about the opportunity.
I was offered a music job for a higher salary, but the church was in an upscale community of all white folk. The church kept asking if we were "impressed" and even though offering me the job, insulted my age on several occassions ("I have sweaters older than you.") It was very odd. When I told them I felt called elsewhere, I never heard back. They are either shocked or offended, but either way, I take it as a confirmation that I wasn't meant to be there.
On a more positive note, we feel confident that God would have us minister to the youth in Aurora. I am sure it will be a challenge, but the fire is quickly spreading through me. I think God has given me a pastor's heart, and though I fail many times at fulfilling that call, I am glad he's given me another chance. I think this position will fit me much better than a worship leading position, since this will be much more well-rounded; in addition to some music on the side, I will be able to teach and tend the flock. I am sure I'll scrape my knees along the way, but that's what I keep coming back to do.
Thanks for your support and prayers. This is definitely an answer.
Come by and visit us! We'll be living at 1222 Market Place Dr., #4111, Yorkville, IL 60560. (We won't be there until after the 27th or so, though, so make sure to email.)
-joel
After six long months, we've finally accepted a position! In fact, we were offered two (Director of Emergent Worship and Youth Director), and maybe even a few publishing jobs, but we went ahead and declined all of those.
I will be the youth director at Westminster Presbyterian in Aurora, Illinois. As you may know, Aurora is a south western suburb that is very diverse. All kinds of people live in the city, and crime rates are relatively high, but we are really excited about the opportunity.
I was offered a music job for a higher salary, but the church was in an upscale community of all white folk. The church kept asking if we were "impressed" and even though offering me the job, insulted my age on several occassions ("I have sweaters older than you.") It was very odd. When I told them I felt called elsewhere, I never heard back. They are either shocked or offended, but either way, I take it as a confirmation that I wasn't meant to be there.
On a more positive note, we feel confident that God would have us minister to the youth in Aurora. I am sure it will be a challenge, but the fire is quickly spreading through me. I think God has given me a pastor's heart, and though I fail many times at fulfilling that call, I am glad he's given me another chance. I think this position will fit me much better than a worship leading position, since this will be much more well-rounded; in addition to some music on the side, I will be able to teach and tend the flock. I am sure I'll scrape my knees along the way, but that's what I keep coming back to do.
Thanks for your support and prayers. This is definitely an answer.
Come by and visit us! We'll be living at 1222 Market Place Dr., #4111, Yorkville, IL 60560. (We won't be there until after the 27th or so, though, so make sure to email.)
-joel

2 Comments:
At 3:58 PM,
Zach Love said…
congrats Joel & family!
2 things: first, I'm glad to hear that you're openly listening to where you believe you should be. playing your part in the big picture, even if we can't see it, is so important & always worth while in the end
second, don't forget that failure is highly subjective in the eyes of men. I personaly feel that most of my sucess has come directly out of many of my failuers.
all in all, good to hear some praise about your life.
ps Any new updates on your family?
At 10:30 PM,
Hox said…
Congratulations! I'm glad that you went with your heart. I'll pray that your ministry will touch those who need it.
Post a Comment
<< Home