Center Foundation

A community blog for members of Center Foundation and friends.

Friday, June 24, 2005

road trip

a short update...
so there is an opening in the graphics department where I work. the schedule would be M-F 4:30am - 1pm, same pay, but a few new challenges

I've applied to it, but still need to schedule a time to "talk" w/ the production manager

in a similar note, next monday I'll be in the Quad cities interviewing for a News Videographer position, followed by another interview in Madison WI for a similar position.

I'm kind of leaning toward Madison b/c they have some better equipment (as I'm told), but if those would like, I'll let people know how they went

2 Comments:

  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Zach Love said…

    well a little update: WMTV NBVC 15 in Madison WI made a tentative offer (pending approval of passing a drug test & a driving record back groung check) before I left the station

    the interview at KWQC NBVC 6 in the QC (quad-cities of IA& IL) went really well & I think they may make an offer

    either place would be a nice step up & I'd face new challenges.

    both are NBVC stations, & NBVC has the worst ratings nationally right now, but KWQC news is #1 in their market & WMTV is a "strong 2nd." Which IS importatant b/c I've heard of parent companies coming into a last place station & suddenly letting the entire news staff go.

    pros & cons:
    WMTV - edits on NLEs (non-linear editor computers), but has older cameras. BUT, they're 'supposed' to get new Sony XD (disc based sweet system) cameras sometime in 2006, as well as a Satalite truck.

    So if they buy everything they say they will, in 18 months they will have ALL top of the line equipment. (which is rare to find ANY TV station w/ this nice equipment).

    A really cool thing about the job is that they work 4-10 hour days, so every weekend is a 3-day weekend.

    Biggest down side is WMTV is n't that much more money & I almost lose some b/c the cost of living is higher in Madison.

    KWQC - has better cameras now (but still tape based), and they 'hope' to get some NLEs in the future.

    Biggest thing is that they'll pay more in the QC & it is about the same cost of living as Lafayette.


    so Madison has a lot going on for stories & social life w/ UW right there. They're a union shop, so pay has to be to the union's scale, but I was able to get a bit to make it a latteral move in pay after factoring in cost of living.

    And at the QC (if they make an offer) I'll get a 15% raise, but I think I might be able to ask for more.

    so any insight is welcome

    ps, as I was just looking at my keyboard, I've decided that n-b-c is easier to type by doing a short slide across the keys

     
  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger Zach Love said…

    so now I have two offers.
    1 official from the Quad-Cities
    1 pending on some paper work from Madison

    I've "pending" said yes to Madison, but it would be nice to have it official before I say no to the QC

    ps I need a gmail invite to why_doesnt_anybody_post_comments_anymore@not_a_isp.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home